Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Simplicity 5923 Pajama Loungewear

This is the second pajama bottom pattern I have put together. The first pair came out okay. With this pair, I have implemented a few more professional touches. I am thrilled with the way these came out.


The first (and biggest) modification would be the addition of pockets. Being as how I have never added pockets, I turned to Professor Pincushion's tutorial on how to insert side pants pockets found here. I have found her online classes absolutely invaluable in learning to create clothing, either by drafting your own pattern or by following a pattern.

The second modification I made was to the length of the pants and overall look of the pattern. I made view C and just lengthened the leg into one piece. I did this quite simply because I couldn't find any flannel that coordinated well with the fabric my daughter selected.


One of the techniques I utilized (courtesy of Professor Pincushion) was encasing the raw seams by folding in on itself and then using the zig zig zag stitch. I also utilized my overlock stitch on the crotch seam. Keep in mind that I am an absolute beginner and this was a huge breakthrough for me.

I am really happy with the professional look of these pants.



 Here is the finished result (pockets and all)!


2 comments: