Thursday, October 18, 2012

Tumbler Quilt (continued)

If you have ever made a tumbler quilt, you've probably wondered how you were going to add sashing to this irregulary shaped quilt. I debated whether or not I would cut the edges to make a nice straight line or whether I would add small peices to the sashing to create a straight line.

In the end, I opted for a different option.

Here's what I ended up doing:

I began ironing the fold back and pinning the quilt to a white jelly roll strip.












It's hard to see because I used white thread but here is a view from the back.











I stitched down the side of the quilt, carefully, to preserve the shape of the quilt. I used the smallest seam possible. I am hoping the slight extra bulk doesn't come back to haunt me.







Here is the final quilt top, ready for a quilt sandwhich. I plan to do some free motion experimenting with this one.
 










1 comment: